Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Machupicchu...



English
Check out my photos by following this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/samathern




The time has arrived... In this edition of The Cusqueñan Traveler, I am going to tell you about my encoutner with the sacred Machupicchu--a marvel of the world left by the Incas.

I went to the sacred place accompanied by my holy friend, Rachel. The trip started at the breaking of dawn on the 20th of June. The reason for the early wake up and travel (we departed at approximately three in the morning) was that there existed the possibility of a strike in Cuzco. The war in the Jungle between the Amazonian Tribes and the Peruvian government has resulted in many roadblocks and other such events. Nonetheless, we departed very early in order to arrive at Aguas Calientes at seven in the morning.

Upon arriving in the beautiful city of Aguas Calientes, we slept for three hours to try and recuperate. Later we left to see the city of Aguas Calientes, which had not existed some 20 years earlier according to a man we had met on the train ride. It is not economically advisable to live in Aguas Calientes since they created the city for toursits.

What really fascinated me was the willingness and friendship of the people of Aguas Calientes, in particular, of the venders. For example, I asked a lady if it would be possible to buy some sunglasses in the city and she asked me to wait for a moment. After a few minutes, she returned with some sunglasses. She had ran through the town to find me some sunglasses and afterwards sold them to me, probably charging me a higher rate, but it surprised me that she had searched the entired town to find what I needed. The same thing happened again when I asked about buying an extra battery for my camera.

Putucusi
Our friends arrived a few hours after Rachel and I and found us (due to the small size of the town) eating in a restaurant. We chatted for a bit and then decided to climb Putucusi, which lies in front of Machupicchu. The entrance to the trail for Putucusi is located just outside of the town.

The climb to the peak of Putucusi was a lot more than we had anticipated. Our friends, Emily and Ana, didn´t manage to accompany us to the peak. Rachel and I did have the advantage of the originating from states with high altitudes and therefore the climb wasn’t too difficult. However, the climb was still incredibly trying. We had not anticipated climbing such a steep trail and we left at around 15:30 hours thinking the trail would be a piece of cake.
However, after a few stairs, we arrived at the first ladder made of wood, the kind that you would use to scale a castle during the Middle Ages. And when I say that it is a ladder, what I really mean is that this is not your typical ladder. It stretches over 30 meters (100 + feet) high. After climbing the first ladder, we discovered that four more remained…

Finally, after one hour, and after listening to the constant comments of Peruvians, who kept telling us that only 20 minutes remained until reaching the peak (liars—they told us the same thing every 20 minutes…), we managed to reach the top of the mountain.

I cannot find one word, not in English nor in Spanish that I could utilize in order to describe the majesty of the view from the peak of that sacred place. It was incredible… On the other side of the valley, Machupicchu could be seen in all of its glory.

The sun began to set and only a few minutes remained in order to drink in the sublimity of that site. Rachel and I took the time to perform a native ritual to pray for every person, especially those who suffer in our lives. I think that there exists nothing as triumphant as overcoming the mortal struggle that carries you to the precipices and edges of your corporal limitations. I will not forget the last minutes of strolling, of forcing myself to take one more step in the direction of the treasure. At the end, the richness of seeing the most beautiful site that I have ever seen was spectacular and worth every second…We left that place and began to climb down the mountain. It only took 20 minutes to reach the valley. We slept well that night, that eve of our visit to Machupicchu.

Machupicchu—The most sacred site in the world
The following morning, we rose at three in the morning (for the second day in a row) in order to wait in line for the buses. Rachel, Emily, Ana, and I climbed onto the first bus that left for Machupicchu. The bus ride took some 20 minutes. Despite some problems at the entrance of Machupicchu (they wouldn’t allow me to bring in my backpack because it was too big), I managed to obtain a ticket to climb Wyanapicchu. I know what you are thinking… I am crazy. I had just climbed Putucusi the previous day. Nonetheless, I climbed it by myself that morning.

First, though, I watched the sunrise on Machupicchu from behind the mountains. I have never seen something quite impressive. It was very cold but when the sun rose and broke over the peak of the mountains the warmth from the sun’s rays covered my body. With that energy, I was able to climb Wyanapicchu.

The trek to Wyanapicchu was incredible, but it tired me out greatly. I continued beyond the peak and directed myself to the Temple of the Moon. I would love to paint a picture of the majesty of the excursion, but I still remain speechless.

The day was incredible: Rachel met a woman with a beautiful soul and who had a lot of spirit. I became familiar with nature and I experienced the incredible and the sacredness of Machupicchu. I think that I was taught a lot by that sacred place. I cannot for the day that I return to that sacred terrain again.

En Español
Ver mis fotos por hacer clíc aquí: http://picasaweb.google.com/samathern


El tiempo ha llegado... En esta edición del The Cusqueñan Traveler voy a contarles sobre el encuentro con la sagrada Machupicchu--una maravilla del mundo dejado por los Inkas...

Fui al sitio sagrado acompañado por mi amiga santa, Raquel. Se comenzó el viaje a la madrugaba del 20 de Junio. La razón de viajar tan temprano (nos embarcamos al promediar 03:00 horas de la mañana) fue que era posible que no iba a ser viajes a Ollantaytambo para tomar el tren a Aguas Calientes debido a un paro (una huelga) en la ciudad de Cusco. La guerra en la selva entre las tribus amazónicos y el gobierno había resultado en muchos bloqueos de carretaras y otros sucesos similares. Sin embargo, nos embarcamos muy temprano para llegar a Aguas Calientes a las siete de la mañana.

Al llegar a la ciudad bella de Aguas Calientes dormimos por tres horas para recuperarnos un poco, y después salimos para ver la ciudad, la cual no se había existido hace 20 años según lo que contó un hombre que hubimos conocido durante el camino por tren. No es tan económico vivir en esa ciudad puesto que se creó la ciudad para los turistas.

Lo que me fascinaba muchísimo fue la simpatía y la voluntad de la gente de Aguas Calientes, particularmente de los vendores. Por ejemplo, le pregunté a una mujer si fuera posible comprar gafas de sol y ella me pidió que yo esperara un ratito. Después de unos minutos, la mujer regresó con unas gafas de sol. Ella había dado un paseo por la aldea para encontrar gafas de sol. Estoy seguro que me cobró ella un poco más pero me soprendió muchísimo que había corrido por toda la ciudad para encontrar lo que necesitaba. Lo mismo me pasó otra vez cuando busque otra batería extra para mi cámera.

Putucusi
Nuestras amigas llegaron unas horas después de nosotros. Debido al tamaño de la ciudad, nos encontraron en un restaurante. Charlamos por un ratito y después, decidimos a ir a subir a la montaña de Putucusi, la cual yace frente de Machupicchu. Se encuentra la entrada de la excursión a la cima de la montaña gigantesca justo afuera de la ciudad.

La subida a la cima de Putucusi fue más que habíamos anticipado. Nuestras amigas, Emily y Ana, no pudieron acompañarnos a la cima. Raquel y yo tuvimos la ventaja de ser de estados con alturas grandes y por eso, no fue tan difícil la subida. No obstante, la subida era durísima. No habíamos anticipado subir un camino tan empinado y salimos a las quince y medio horas pensado que sería papaya.

Sin embargo, después de unas escaleras, llegamos a la primera escalera era de madera y del estilo que se usa para subir al techo de una casa. Cuando les digo que es una escalera, lo que les digo es que no es una escalera típica. Se estima de 30 metros de altura hasta alcanzar su fin. Después de subir la primera escalera, nos damos cuenta de que nos faltaron cuatro más.

Finalmente, después de una hora, y después de escuchar los comentos constantes de los peruanos, quines siguían diciéndonos que sólo nos faltaban 20 minutos hasta alcanzar la cima de Putucusi (mentirosos--nos dijeron la misma cosa cada 20 minutos), logramos alcanzar a la cima de la montaña...

No tengo ni una palabra, ni en inglés ni en esapañol, que podría utilizar para describirles la majestuosidad de la vista desde la cima de aquella lugar sagrado. Era increíble... Al otro lado del valle, se pudo ver Machupicchu en su gloría entera.

El sol se echó a ponerse y sólo nos faltaron unos minutitos para ver y tomar la sublimidad de aquello sitio. Raquel y yo tomó el tiempo para hacer un ritual nativo para rezar para cada persona, especialmente los que sufren en nuestras vidas. Creo que no existe nada más triunfal que vencer a una refriega mortal que te lleva a los precipicios y a las fronteras de tus límites corporales. No me olvidaré los últimos minutos de andar, de esforzarme a dar un paso más en la dirección del tesoro espiritual. Al fin, la riqueza de ver el sitio más bello que jamás yo había visto, era espectacular y valía cada pena...

Salimos del lugar y nos echamos a bajar de la montaña. Sólo pasamos veinte minutos para terminar la baja. Huelga decir, dormimos bien aquella noche, la víspera de visitar a Machupicchu.

Machupicchu--El sitio más sagrado del mundo

La siguiente mañana, nos levantamos a las tres a punto (para el segundo día seguido) para esperar en la línea de los autobuses. Raquel, Emily, Ana y yo subimos al primer autobús que salió para Machupicchu. El paseo por autobús tomó unos veinte minutos. A partir de algunos problemas al entrar a Machupicchu (no me permitieron llevar mi mochilla en el sitio a causo de que era demasiado grande), logré conseguir un boleto para subir Wyanapicchu. Yo sé lo que están pensando. Estoy loco. He acabado de subir a Putucusi el previo día... Sin embargo, lo subí aquella montaña por mí mismo.

Primero, sin embargo, miré el amanecer del sol desde atrás de las montañas. Nunca he visto algo tan impresionante. Hacía mucho frío pero cuando el sol subió detrás de las montañas el calor de sus rayos me cubrían totalmente. Con esa energía yo pude subir a Wyanapicchu...

El paseo de Wayanpicchu era increíble, pero me cansó muchísimo. Sigue más allá de la cima de Wyanapicchu me dirigí a la templa de la luna también. Me gustaría pintar la majestuosidad de la excursión, pero todavía quedo sin palabras.

El día fue increíble. Raquel conoció a una mujer bella en su alma, quien tenía mucho temple. Yo me hice conocer la naturaleza y experimenté lo increíble y lo sagrado de Machupicchu. Creo que me enseño muchísimo aquello lugar sagrado. No puedo esperar el día cuando yo vuelva a ver aquella tierra santa de nuevo...

No comments:

Post a Comment